Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Lottery Win for Connect 2 - but why is it a lottery?

It's great for Connect2 to have the lottery funding for expanding the cycle and walking network, but it seems wrong that this project, and the three which lost, should have to be funded like this.

Wouldn't it be wonderful if we paid our petrol taxes in order to subsidise other means of transport? The system in this country really isn't logical - it's so much cheaper to travel by car, with all the extra carbon emissions, and the heavy traffic on the roads. So I have no objection to paying for the privilege of using my car. I don't consider that I have a god-given right to drive.

Trains are generally more expensive than flying, unless you can find your way through the maze of money-saving fares - something other people are always telling me about, but that I haven't got organised enough to do. Why is it an obstacle race?

Basically, we are discouraged from travelling in any other way than by road for short distances, or air for longer ones.

No comments: