Sunday, January 27, 2008

Six things about me meme

Thanks to moondreamer for putting me on this particular spot. ;-)
The small print: Link to the person that tagged you. Post the rules on your blog. Share six non-important things/habits/quirks about yourself. Tag six random people at the end of your post by linking to their blogs. Let each random person know they have been tagged by leaving a comment on his/her website.
I havent networked enough to tag anyone yet.

1.I can be very antisocial, but enjoy people's company when I make the effort. Though I used to be shy, I now talk to almost anyone. I won't elaborate on the almost.

2.I have a tendency to be scatter-brained, and am inclined to lose things. I am trying to improve. Playing the absent-minded professor type just isn't 'cool'.

3.I can't decide whether 13 was a lucky number for my mother (now dead) or not. Mine and my brother's birthdays are on the 13th of the month (different months), and our sister just made it into the 14th by half an hour. My son was born on the 31st. My daughters fall outside this pattern. Yes, I know, dates are arbitrary, anyway.

4.We rarely had Christmas dinner until the evening, or sometimes the following day. My mother was a nurse and was always working on Christmas Day. I worked in hospitals during uni vacations, but was already glad I had decided against a career in that area.

5.My grandmother was born when her mother was only 17. Her parents were first cousins twice over - two brothers married two sisters - the son of one lot married the daughter of the other lot, a couple of years after my grandmother's birth. My mother used to say they'd been watching too many animals on the farm. Oh, the goings on in the Derbyshire countryside at the end of the nineteenth century! My grandmother was always very prim and proper, and sold out her share of the farm as soon as possible. We have tried to widen the gene pool since then, and the next generation are doing the same.

6.My great-grandfather chased his future son-in-law off the farm with a shotgun when my grandparents were courting. I don't know why, though I have theories.

4 comments:

Moondreamer said...

Haha! I should be sorry for putting you on the spot, but I'm so not ... great answers, ali!

I can be antisocial too. I am either one extreme or the other ... I love people but spend a lot of time with them and really need my own space or I get very cranky. (I think I am pretty well-balanced when it comes to Jung's Extrovert/Introvert categories!)

You family history sounds fascinating, you must have great fun researching it.

:o)

aliqot said...

Thanks, moondreamer.
Pleased you enjoyed the answers. The family history has the usual complement of boozers, bastards and wastrels, and of those who tried to be a little too perfect as a reaction.
One of the things I've enjoyed a lot is visiting some of the places they came from. Since the nineteenth century they were Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire based, but one lot came from Lancashire.
I know the only good thing from there is supposed to be the road into Yorkshire...

Colette McCormick said...

I agree with Moondreamer - great answers and a fascinating family history. I am sometimes antisocial too. My day job involves interacting with the public and I have been known to lock myself in the office all day rather than face them.

aliqot said...

Thanks, gonna be. All a question of balance, I guess.

I'll wander over and have a look at your blog very soon.