Wednesday, April 04, 2012

Rain after dry weather - haibun

The rain which has been threatening arrives just after lunch. I dash outside to help my friend bring her washing in from the garden. It’s already dried, but now the clothes are dotted with damp splodges - still worth the effort since a couple of hours on the airer will leave it ready to put away or iron if need be, instead of sodden and dripping on the line.

I drive home to the swish of the windscreen wipers – earlier I’ve cleaned dust from the glass, thinking it would cause glare in the sunlight. 

dry weather dust
raindrops on the windscreen
wipers work hard

Another cup of tea – the hasty tea-bag variety – and I wander upstairs to the computer. I hear an odd sound and look out of the window. 

There’s a girl, aged about eight, sitting on the sill of her bedroom window, legs dangling. The window is just above the garage roof, a very short drop. She’s singing, not the greatest tune, but I decide it must be rain-madness after a couple of weeks of dry weather. I think of myself at her age, and reckon I’d have been dancing on the garage roof. In New York kids’ upstairs rooms have to have safety bars. Just as well.

change excites
children enjoy
a sense of danger

5 comments:

Chloe Greene said...

Well as long as the drop is not too far I need not worry about the little girl and I salute her sense of adventure.

I like the way you describe what has inspired your poems.

aliqot said...

These are my attempts at haibun - a sort of diary with haiku in them.

I think if the drop had been higher or the girl had emerged on to the garage roof, I would have rushed round to the house and informed on her!

Chloe Greene said...

I wondered what was meant by Haibun. Had not heard of that before so thank you.
An interesting art-form.

aliqot said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
aliqot said...

More info here - or google:

http://www.bing.com/search?q=Haibun+on+line&FORM=CBPW&first=1&noredir=1&cc=gb


Not sure if the link works - you may have to copy and paste