Friday, June 13, 2014

Slower walking

I have been to a couple of nature reserves this week - and spent a bit of time in bird hides just looking.
The Egleton centre at Rutland Water with its many lagoons and hides is always worth a visit.
I was there for three or four hours, and saw lots of the usual suspects - ducks, geese, coots, common terns, great crested grebes and also egrets and a glossy ibis.
There are usually a few people around to chat and share their knowledge, and yesterday was no exception - many thanks to the ex-engineer from Nottingham for letting me peer through his telescope as well.

Today I went to Pitsford Water Nature Reserve. (click to read the details)
I've been meaning to investigate this for a while and for the princely sum of £2.50 it's well worth it. I didn't have the zoom lens, and saw nothing unusual but plenty of grebes, swans with cygnets, coots with chicks, and lots of tern diving and skimming the water. There was a large hornet at one of the hides - I didn't hang around there for long. Other insects were in evidence too, damselflies, dragonflies and butterflies of various sorts - speckled wood, and one tiny blue among many others. 
Hardly any other people to be seen. It was good to walk more slowly on such a hot day. 

No comments: